Pages

Welcome!

Thursday, August 13, 2026

The Interview

 

8/7/26 Whole Foods cafe

I could tell immediately by their body language: A job interview was taking place. After walking to an errand, I had stopped at Whole Foods’ café for an iced Americano. Tempted to sketch them at the adjacent table, I resisted, not wanting to add to the candidate’s stress if she happened to catch me observing them.

Although I could hear the manager’s questions clearly (the position was for a Whole Foods cashier), the candidate’s responses were so quiet that I couldn’t hear them at all. Recalling the many job interviews I had been on in my career, they had all been conducted in proper offices – not in a noisy, distracting café where patrons could easily overhear. It all made me cringe with empathy.

Of the many things I am grateful for about retirement, never having to go on another job interview is near the top of the list.  

4 comments:

  1. Nice sketches! I was sketching in the new Whole Foods when they opened here and at most of the tables in the eating area job interviews were going on...no privacy whatsoever.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's really strange that there's no place outside the public areas where managers can talk to candidates or employees! I wonder what they do for performance evaluations? Meet by the produce? LOL!

      Delete
  2. Amen to the end of job interviews! At the risk of sounding like an old fuddy duddy, how unprofessional to conduct job interviews in this way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right??! I guess that's how they save money... no space for private meetings!

      Delete