![]() |
| 8/20/26 Black-Eyed Susans, Maple Leaf neighborhood |
Although my walk was getting hotter than I like, I couldn’t
resist making a quick stop to catch these Black-Eyed Susans near the sidewalk.
After sketching them hastily with a brush pen and coloring the petals with a
yellow Museum Aquarelle pencil, I was disappointed that they didn’t pop as
I wanted them to. Usually adding a dark background does the trick, so I used a
dark blue-violet Neocolor II crayon. I snapped a photo (below), thinking I was
done.
About to close the sketchbook, I looked again and thought the flowers still lacked pop. Although I don’t usually use water in Uglybooks, and I like the raw, rustic look that dry crayons impart on colored paper, I thought I’d try applying water to the Neo II to see the result (at left). I avoided fully activating the color to retain some of the dry look. I like it.
By the way, do you know the difference between Black-Eyed Susan and Brown-Eyed Susan? I wasn’t sure which these were, or even if those were just two colloquial names for the same flower. They are, however, different: Brown-Eyed Susans have rounder, shorter petals, while Black-Eyes have slender, tapered petals.
What did we ever do before the Internet?
![]() |
| Neocolor II background before activation |


I like this with the dark background. Wise choice.
ReplyDeleteWhat did we do before the internet? Head to the library for answers, often with the help of a highly educated librarian. Or sometimes even reference a book we may have had at home. Not as quick but somehow we managed . . . ;-) I do have to admit though, that the quickness of an internet search can be very gratifying. And oh, the rabbit holes it leads you down, not that my flipping through a card catalog or scanning titles on the library shelf didn't point to similar rabbit holes - lol
ReplyDeleteHa-ha!! Yes, I have gone down too many rabbit holes! I guess the biggest benefit to me (over the old-school way) is that I would not have taken the time to go to the library to learn the difference between these flowers.
DeleteIndeed, it is the speed at which some info can be attained through the internet that makes the difference. However, I don't have a smart phone so I'd have to wait until I got home anyway. ;-)
Delete