Pages

Welcome!

Saturday, August 15, 2026

Behemoth

 

8/11/26 Maple Leaf neighborhood

Occasionally walking past the latest behemoth to join the ‘hood, I finally stopped to sketch it on a cool, sunny morning. Another walker stopped to see what I was sketching, and it launched a tirade of anger and frustration: These developments do nothing to resolve the severe shortage of affordable housing. The low quality of materials used by this and other notorious developers means the building will likely be torn down in a couple of decades (unlike our own homes that are a hundred years old). We both observed the number of trees that were probably cut down on the back side of the property where three more duplicate houses are in various stages of construction by the same developer. Note the scale of nearby houses.

2 comments:

  1. Ugh!! I agree, we also have 4 story development going in and no upgraded infrastructure to support it. This used to be a wonderful place to live, but now the congestion is making it hard to live here. So many elements in your sketch, the cars with various details, the house vs the new bldg. Well told story in your sketch!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't get me started on congestion and cars speeding through residential streets while kids are walking to school! Thank you for seeing the story I was trying to show!

      Delete